The White Swiss Shepherd has only recently been recognised in the UK. Having our application approved by the UK Kennel Club took a lot of time & work to undertake and members from numerous Breed Club/Kennel Clubs around the world helped enormously by sending us their data on health statistics for the breed etc to aid us in this quest, help in which we will be forever grateful for.
Our breed have unsurprisingly become increasingly popular especially after the Range Rover Velar advertisement depicting WSS was aired here and caused the highest ever search for a breed on the Kennel Club website which again was advertised in the media here. As there have been no puppies available in the country this has currently not been an issue with impromptu purchasers who want to ‘buy one now’
In the latter part of 2016 we have founded a Breed Club which can be seen through this link.. www.whiteswissshepherdclubuk.org. Of course we could only wish to welcome like minded hobbyists to join us to move forward with our breed in the UK. All this effort only to find that unfortunately after only 8 months of recognition and with only (up until now) three of us occasional breeders in the country we have recently seen an advertisement here in the UK selling WSS puppies with NO REGISTRATION and NO HEALTH SCREENING (no hip & elbow scoring) and now only God knows where those puppies will be going. We really do not want our beautiful breed getting into the hands of ‘Puppy Farmers’ breeding only for profit and not the health & welfare of the breed. I know this happens in every country and with every breed and is inevitable and we will can only try our very best as a Club to watch out for our breed and believe us WE WILL BE MONITORING EVERY LITTER FOR SALE registered or NOT. The UK KC publish a Breed Record Supplement every quarter of the year and it shows every dog imported into the UK and all puppies/dogs registered with them. Fortunately here in the UK conscientious breeders who do carry out all health tests and have greater concern for their dogs offspring are able to endorse registration papers for no breeding (progeny not eligible for registration) these endorsement may be lifted after health screening undertaken e.g. X-rays have been examined by the BVA and given a score from 12 months onwards (if of sufficient merit to do so). We just would like to ask all conscientious breeders overseas to be vigilant when selling puppies to the UK especially while there is a high demand for them and people purchasing puppies to be aware of these facts.
* ALWAYS ASK TO SEE THE MOTHER
* ASK HOW OLD SHE IS AND HOW OLD THE FATHER IS AS DOGS (Male & female) are being bred under 1 year old!!
* ASK HOW MANY LITTERS THE MOTHER HAS HAD IN TOTAL
* ASK IF THE PARENTS & PUPPIES ARE REGISTERED - if not ASK WHY NOT, ASK TO SEE RELEVANT DOCUMENTS
* ASK FOR PROOF THAT THEY ARE INDEED WHITE SWISS SHEPHERDS as puppies can look very similar to white GSDS
* VERY IMPORTANT - ASK TO SEE BOTH HIP & ELBOW SCORES for BOTH PARENTS!!!!
* ASK IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER HEALTH TESTS e.g. DM, MDR1 as most conscientious breeders SCREEN THEIR DOGS and will only breed from dogs WITH GOOD TEMPERAMENT
* IF TOLD THAT THE PARENTS ARE REGISTERED WHITE SWISS SHEPHERDS - GO TO THIS LINK AND TYPE IN THE CORRECT NAME OF THE PARENTS TO FIND THEIR DETAILS AND X-RAY RESULTS AS THESE CAN BE FOUND HERE IF THERE ARE ANY undertaken after recognition in OCTOBER 2017 - please note: our own dogs health results are only just being submitted to add to our dogs names which have been recently recorded at the KC as the BVA did not send the KC results of dogs not recognised prior to October 2017. Copies of our dogs health results are given to new owners of our puppies.
*** ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION - WHY WOULD ANY CONSCIENTIOUS DOG BREEDER (especially one with a new breed been recently recognised) GO TO THE LENGTHS AND EXPENSE OF IMPORTING DOGS NOT TO REGISTER either the dogs or their OFFSPRING WITH THE KC AND SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS THE GOOD HEALTH & TEMPERAMENT OF THEM ***
PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT THESE TYPE OF BREEDERS!